Sunday, April 6, 2008

Picture I.D. Required To Fish Canada


Local Charter Captains Hope for Cool Summer

Laws for fishing Canadian waters are now requiring a picture I.D. along with the appropriate guest license for tourists to fish in the colder waters found along the Canada / USA border. This would be a Visa or simply a driver's license but it must be a "government issued" form of picture I.D. card.

Some local charter fishing Captains have expressed concerns due to the large amount of Amish clients who oppose having their pictures taken. Now, I don't know why that would be such a big deal, as I see these folks every summer, rolling into town by the van loads. Someone is driving the vehicle and they appear to be dressed and look like Amish men. How did they get up here w/o a driver's license? I doubt if they espouse the belief that they can drive w/o a State issued driver's license, as that would be breaking the law. The license has a photo right smack on the front, so where's the rub here? I'm not familiar with all of the Amish beliefs and lifestyle, but I do know I've seen varying degrees of "Amishness". Some only use a horse and buggy while others have no-frills automobiles, vans and trucks. I see satellite dishes on some of their homes now as well - another indulgence that they did not allow in the past - TV. Perhaps there are a few men designated by the community who are allowed to hold a driver's license and thus the beef - if the majority don't have the picture I.D. but I'm not quite sure really.

As a man from a Christian background, I see the Amish as good God fearing (keyword here is "fearing") folks, who make a good living from their large land holdings and sales of crops, right on down to Amish handcrafted furniture, crafts, pies, organic beef and chicken. Sounds good, but they are frozen in time and the "buzz" is that Amish youth of today look for change. I don't understand their primitive notions about not having one's picture taken or what constrains them, as the Bible says "I come that you might have life and life more abundantly." Also, Christians are taught by the Bible to obey the laws of the land. If you want to fish out of USA waters and then move out to Canadian waters - then you MUST HAVE a picture I.D. or reel 'em up boys!

The reason for this hub-ub is that during the dog days of July and August, the fish move to colder water and you can still get a good "bite" just across the line in Canadian waters. As a local, I'm more concerned by our policy of not allowing our commercial fishermen to net Walleye while Canada does allow it. That doesn't seem fair since we share ownership of the same lakes but they net the fish and sell them back to us at ridiculous mark-up while our fishermen have to hand pick them out and toss them back in the lake. That would make me more concerned than whether the Amish need a picture I.D. to fish Canadian waters. I have to admit that my income doesn't rely on Amish clients though and some charter Captain's income does rely on their business. Well, they'll either pony up a picture or stay on the USA side of the lake, that much is for sure and the local fishing guides will have to enforce the regulations.

No comments: