Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Annual Fishing Festival Opens Friday!


Where's Dad At?

That's simple enough - he's gone fishing! The Yellow Perch are hammering small shiners on spreaders and in the 8 to 10 inch range. At $15.99 a lb. that's more like a part-time job than it is a hobby! Wow, they're really running large this spring and you don't have to travel far offshore to get into them.

The Walleye are hitting everything that moves, trolling crankbaits, drifting with worm rigs or casting bladed spinners, tipped with nightcrawlers are all producing 6 fish limits in no time flat. The only "con" is that you have to get out about 7 - 8 miles to get on the schools of fish.

Trout are moving in the rivers and in 40 - 50 feet of water - and the limit has dropped to 5 fish this year. I'm glad I don't care for this variety of fish which affords more time to spend on my favorites.

My absolute favorite fish has been declared as a "non-possession" species this year, so we can still go after these babies but we must release them back into the lake immediately. That suits me, since I don't eat Smallmouth Bass but they are by far, my favorite fish to catch. I love the feeling of them absolutely "hammering" the bait (I only use artificials), jig or crankbait and explode out of the water. They tail-walk as well as any Tarpon and pound for pound they're the toughest fighting fish in the lake.

We'll (my friends and I) be out in our 27' SportCraft hard-top kids. So Mom, you've got the kids this weekend and I really don't mind that you turned down my invitation to come with me (yay!). I'll be about 6 miles North of you but my cell phone will be turned on and in it's waterproof cell phone case, hanging from a ceiling hook.

Just give me a shout if you need me!

No comments: