Friday, May 30, 2008

Ocean Kayaking Anyone?


No Thank You - I'll Pass!

Well, the big Memorial Day Fishing Festival has come and gone. Lots of people, lots of walking, lots of food and merchandise vendors. The adjoining carnival never fails to amuse me as the young "carnies" enticing you to throw a ring over something or break a balloon with a dart to win an "electric pink" stuffed giraffe. My daughter, just graduated from High School, went with us and I got to watch replays of the "Joe Dirt" carnival scene played out on her over and again. What a hoot!

One thing that caught my eye was a new vendor who arrived and set-up a huge tent and tables with kayaks. Now I've been in plenty of canoes but oh my gosh, these were smooth and sleek appearing to be a mere shell of some unknown blend of polymers that barely allowed one to sit after stuffing gear in the long, thin, fore and aft sections. All packed in dry bags and waterproof pouches for the eventual dunking!

I have had many opportunities to see them on TV and in photos positioning themselves amidst a pod of whales, Orcas and more, as the contented kayaker floats silently along shooting pictures through his waterproof digital camera case. I remember thinking "how nice that must be." After actually looking in one and touching them my thoughts changed 180 degrees to "oh my gosh this is a certain death trap!!" I would never set foot in one, I mentioned to my wife. They are not for the feint of heart and that's for sure.

A great day was had and the girls went for the other 3 days but pop stayed home. I am happy that I thoroughly investigated every merchant and ran into and closely inspect some high dollar kayaks for the first time. No repeat visits or inspections will be required for me. I have a new respect for kayakers that I never had before. If you're in rough water, the ocean or rapids, you'd better know what you're doing or potential disaster would appear to be an eventuality.

Kayakers kick butt - so a tip of the hat to you brave souls!

No comments: