Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Boating Disaster Waiting to Happen?


Keep Your Decks Clear - Stow Your Gear


I haven't mentioned that for 8 years, I held a USCG passenger boat for hire, good in all inland waterways of the USA. I have lived at waterfront most of my life and my earliest memories were of my many lone fishing expeditions in a little 14' rowboat complete with a 5hp engine. After many years of fishing and catching numerous lunker bass, pike, walleye etc. I was finally informed that I could now take the boat to fish whenever I wanted - ALONE - on fishing trips which lasted from dawn until lunch and about 2 pm until dark. I was in heaven I thought, doing what I loved most, whenever I wanted, and w/o parental supervision. I earned that 1st "License to Operate" a fishing boat from my Dad at about 10 or 11 yrs old. I caught more and bigger fish back then and fed the family as regularly as they could bear to eat fish and more fish and ....

I moved on with my life but have never lost the taste to get my line wet. I still carry a small two piece Browning ultra light (cut down a few inches and retied to my tastes) with a high end Shakespeare reel and 4 lb test line, a telescopic landing net and a mini tackle box stuffed full of my most killer artificials in a broad spectrum to suit panfish up to 115 lb Northern Pike and anything in between. You name it and I've managed to fit it in that little box! If I see an old farmhouse with a nice size pond, I'll likely pull in and ask the owner if I can have permission to fish there occasionally. Most are very nice and offer a wide open invite. I have many of these "honey holes" in my back pocket as well as many other "known" spots that I'll check out when the fish are on the move in that area.

I guess I've digressed a bit. I wanted to post about the very dangerous and costly situations that can occur while out on a boat fishing or just cruising around and how a little simple housekeeping can stop about 75% of injuries that I've seen in my many yrs of fishing and taking parties of fishermen out on paid fishing trips as a Captain/Guide. The deck on any size boat is not very large as compared to walking around the house (for most of us anyway) and the deck is not only small but it's always rocking and moving. Coolers tend to slide around while under power or while drifting in a stiff breeze and chop. These have to be heavy enough not to move or fixed to a bulkhead so that they don't become snares when fishermen start to rummage about - baiting hooks, getting drinks and sandwiches. Tie those down with bungee cord as mentioned but keep the deck clear, you'll save some painful falls.

I have watched glasses, sunglasses, cell phones, marine radios, cameras, and more all broken by a small set of waves rocking the boat a good wallop, or slowly working their way, ever so slowly, down to the corners of the dashboard and in the hub-bub of landing fish and others milling around to find another spot to cast from, or help land the fish - you guessed it - smash and someone's glasses are pancaked, camera is broken or more. I've also watched these same items and many more - dropped in the lake "ker-sploosh", while the owner agonizes as his new handheld GPS sinks 50' to the bottom. Or, the guy who's neck strap on his binoculars wasn't affixed properly - "SPLASHH", as the lake takes her daily share of loot from the unwary and green. Then there's the guys who each bring 2 - 3 rod/reel outfits per man (we carry extras - only one is optimal) and spread them all over the boat, being sure that there are two "legal limit" poles in the water per fisherman at all times. Since rods/reels should be stowed in side rails provided for them or even stowed below, someone ends up walking or losing his balance while rocking back and forth and puts his foot through his buddy's new custom made rod and crushing it into campfire kindling, not to mention the "mighty casts" that result in the fisherman throwing his new rig 20' through the air, into the water and watching it bob for a split second or two and then disappear.

Safety items (not only - but especially safety items) should be kept in order at all times and checked every week or so. First aid kits, signaling devices, radio beacon, matches, lighter, mini marine radio, flare gun or kit and more, should definitely be stored in a 100% waterproof all purpose pouch. Your life may depend on the contents. I always keep a couple of different size waterproof bags below and keep these essentials in "brand new" condition. You can accidentally break a rod or drop a pair of nice glasses in the drink and still have a pretty good day, but find yourself in a serious situation and you'll want any first aid or survival gear kept intact and dry. Remember good housekeeping on your boat or boating trip, will make it a lot safer and more enjoyable for everyone!

No comments: