Saturday, May 12, 2007

Underwater Digital Photography




Capture Memories of a Lifetime!


In the past, on dives, I've tried using disposable film cameras and was always dissatisfied with the results after they were developed. While snorkeling, I'd see the most beautiful fish sporting every color under the sun but when I looked at my pictures, they were washed out, faded and just plain "BAD".


I took a chance this last trip and put my Canon S45 in one of those digital camera waterproof cases made by ewa-marine. I did this with much trepidation but enticed by an affordable $94 for the housing (not nearly as chintzy as expected either), this compact digital camera takes excellent pictures in or out of the water. This camera and housing combination can be submerged in water of up to 10 meters and take pictures all day long. My camera was laid on the beach, in the boat and then simply rinsed off, dried and carefully stored until next time. I am a real worry wart about getting water/sand in the camera, but the ewa-marine housing kept it high and dry - kudos!


The LCD screen on the camera was easy to view in and out of the water, while the sound from the camera is clearly audible underwater, as are your breathing and air bubbles if shooting video (the Canon S45 has video capability).

As you'll soon see, the image quality is very good considering that you're shooting with a compact digital camera - with small lens and onboard flash. I run most of my images through a post processing program as many are a bit too green and bland out of the memory card. To bring out the true contrast and color a quick "Auto Fix" in Adobe PhotoShop or maybe Paint Shop Pro always does the trick.

You don't have to spend thousands on a "hard housing" to enjoy vacation photos near or in the water. Check out an ewa-marine flexible housing - they really do work!

No comments: